Skip to main content

Dust

A cold wind tore through the trees, snapping twigs and scattering leaves. It dropped to ground level and toppled the bicycle on the lawn in front of the red brick house at the end of the lane. Spinning the wheel it rose to the sky and set off north.

The house lies in darkness, the unlit porch light and the pileup of leaves in front of the door gives it an almost abandoned feeling. The door is unlocked. All the curtains are drawn, leaving the rooms in a perpetual twilight. The sink in the kitchen is stacked with crusty dishes, seeming to defy gravity in their crooked piles.

There’s a sweet smell in the air. It sticks to the roof of the mouth and the image of white lilies comes to mind. Creaking noises send chills up the spine. The house is settling, the cold wind outside and the curiously warm house have it sighing and moving. More sighing. Or is it breathing? Wheezing breaths come from a room at the back of the house.

Fear closes its hand around the throat. Swallowing gets difficult. The heart slams against the ribcage, feeling the pulse all the way out in the ice cold fingers. Everything quiets down. The wind has moved on again. The sighing and creaking has stopped. Towards the back of the house the darkness descends even further, there are no streetlights trying to send rays of light through the cracks in the curtains.

A small bedroom. A single bed. Covered in old clothes. The wardrobe open, emptied. Endless night never leaves this place. It curls up in the stale shirts, hibernates through the lighter, warmer seasons. Stirring. Woken by October winds and the smell of fear. Seducing the mind with sweet smells. Numbing the body with darkness.

Cold hands cradle your face. You fall into darkness, into night’s embrace. We are nothing but dust, prey, one heartbeat from eternal nothingness.



tumblr_oxazfzE0gH1ugu4jfo1_540[1].png


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Killed Him!

I’ve started writing my novel again; maybe it’s being back at school that’s given me all these ideas. What I have so far is almost half a book, it needs more detail and some fleshing out and maybe some more drama before I can say it’s finished. A friend has been reading what I have so far and has been asking me questions about why and who and where, making me see that some things weren’t as clear as I thought they were. She also pointed out that one of my characters does nothing for the story. He just tags along, saying hardly anything and I realized that I put him in only because I wanted the boys and girls to be an equal number. So now, when I’m rewriting and adding he’s been cut out. I killed him. Well, maybe not anything as drastic as that, but he’s gone from the story. This changed the story some (duh), and it’s now better. There’s more focus on my main character and those closest to her. After dragging myself to the gym today I now really feel the need to get started with

Prosecco isn't champagne

After we have checked into the hotel, mum presents me with two identical looking baseball caps. They are black with a small Swedish flag embroidered on one side. “Thanks mum, they’re…”  She laughs at me. “Hideous! But I couldn’t resist when I saw them at the airport!” My mum, the flake. I hug her and jam the ugly thing on my head. She does the same and we take a selfie for her to post on Facebook. I try not to think about the person missing in the photo. This trip was my idea, but mum was the one who found this resort. It lies outside of Nice and is five stars. Neither of us could believe that we had snagged the last-minute trip to this place. And at almost half the price! For her I hope this will be a week of rest and making happy memories. For me? Well, if she’s happy I’ll not wish for anything for myself.  “Ready to go have dinner?”  I throw my cap on my bed as an answer to her question. “You think we’re dressed smartly enough?”  Mum checks us over and nods. “We’re looking very c

I should have known better …

Last week was my husbands last week of summer holiday and I had thought that with him wanting to be as much as possible with the kids I could get some writing done. Yeah right! Who was I kidding! Tuesday morning I woke with a sore throat and a few hours after that my voice was gone So instead of sitting down at my laptop, I lay flat out on the sofa drinking tea and feeling sorry for myself. The day after Pumpkin started to sneeze, and we had some fun nights with a very fussy baby resulting in me feeling even more poorly. All the writing and editing I had planned didn’t happen, but I did get to write some poetry.