Skip to main content

Midnight Rendezvous

Night-time in a big hotel is just as boring as it sounds. I’m crazy jet lagged and nothing’s helping. Mom has popped one of those pills her doctor boyfriend has prescribed her, but they make me all weird the next day so I politely declined when she offered.

So here I am at 3 AM in Finch Towers, one of the fanciest hotels in New York City, bored out of my mind. I know there’s a pool up on the roof, but apparently someone’s booked the top two floors and that locks the elevators. You need a special key card to access the pool now. I’m out in the corridor outside my room in my swimsuit and flip flops, a towel tossed over my shoulder and the complementary fluffy white bathrobe wrapped around me. I want to swim! I don’t care if the Emperor of the World booked the top floors, if I don't do my laps I’ll never be able to sleep.

Walking back towards my room I spot the door leading to the stairwell, we’re just two floors below the pool. I stop and consider my options. I can go back to my room and not sleep, or I could brave the stairs and hope no one will catch me. According to the hotel website the pool is just outside the elevators, if I’m fast I can very well make it.
A mix of jet lag, boredom and the kind of recklessness that only happens in the middle of the night has me trying the handle. It’s not locked and guessing by the fire escape sign on the door I’m assuming the other doors are unlocked too. Fluorescent light flickers to life as I start my assent, my footsteps are loud in the empty stairwell and the air is cool, chilly almost.

Holding my breath, I sneak past the first door and hope no one decides to check the stairs right now. I’ve no idea who’s booked the top floors, I really don’t care enough about the rich and famous to find out either. There are enough rich people travelling to and from New York that it could be anyone. Hopefully they won’t get too pissed if they find me in the pool at 3 AM. Panting I make it all the way to the top, I pause at the door and allow myself to breathe before braving the corridor.

Peeking out through the door tells me it's empty. No one here seems to be suffering from jet lag. I can see the glass doors leading to the outside pool, just a few quick steps across the wall to wall carpet and I’ll be in the safety of the semi-darkness outside. Taking a deep breath, I open the door and walk fast, as if I know what I’m doing and have all the right to do so. My heart is beating loudly in my ears and I expect someone to stop me. Nothing happens.
Outside is balmy, a slight wind dancing in my hair, I've been told that July in New York City can be unbearable sometimes but right now it’s kind of okay. Folding my robe and towel on one of the lounge chairs and slipping out of my flip flops I cast a glance at the large windows to the hallway. There’s no sign of anyone, it’s almost as if no one’s here but me. Still I gently lower myself into the water, adjusting my goggles and slipping beneath the surface to start my laps.

I lose count of how many laps I’ve done, all I know is that my muscles are tired and my mind is numb enough for me to try to get some sleep. Giving it my all I do one final lap, I slap my hand on the tiles and pull myself up to rest my arms on the edge.

“That was fucking awesome!” The comment has me almost slipping down into the water again. I turn around to find a boy sitting on the lounge chair where I put my things. To give myself some time I slip my goggles down to my neck and push my hair back. “Oh shit… You had no idea I was here, did you?” I shake my head. “I’ve been watching you the last 15 minutes or so. You’re one hell of a swimmer.”
“Thanks. I guess...” There’s something about him, like I’ve seen him on TV or maybe read something online. His blonde hair is messy, but clearly styled to be so and he’s wearing a simple t-shirt and shorts. My brain is too tired to make any connections though, I’m ready to head to bed or at least leave the pool.

The night air is chilly and goose bumps are soon covering my arms, but getting out of the water with someone who’s been watching me doing my laps feels a little weird. But fuck it, I’m tired. The breeze has me shivering when I climb the ladder and I grab my towel quickly.
“How did you get up here anyway?” He sounds almost impressed, I shrug my shoulders.
“The stairs.” Wrapping the towel around me I grab my robe and tie the belt securely around my waist. This close I can tell he’s really good looking and I’m sure he knows it too. His smile has my heart doing cartwheels in my chest and I feel my cheeks blushing.
“What’s your name?”
“Kajsa.” I see him turning it over in his head. “It’s Swedish.” His smile grows wider.
“Swedish? So, Kajsa, what are you doing here in New York?” He pronounces my name as ‘Kaiser’ and I want to correct him, but I only shift from one foot to the other. Should I tell him about mom or maybe just leave and go back to my room? He seems genuinely curious though.
“My mom’s boyfriend’s here for a conference and she thought we’d make a shopping trip out of it.” I focus on my flip flops, wishing I could make myself leave.
“How old are you?” Old enough for you to hit on.
“18.” Next month.
“Cool, how long are you staying?” Why is he talking to me? Doesn’t he have anything better to do? Like sleeping.
“Until Thursday.” I look towards the door and pretend to yawn. “I need to get back to my room…” He gets up as to follow me. “I can find my own way back.” He chuckles.
“Yeah, but you might need my help to get there.” And as we step inside I see a security guard standing by the elevators. I’m in deep shit.

The cute boy puts his hand on my lower back and leads me towards the enormous blonde mountain of muscle, who’s totally giving me the stink eye.
“This is Kajsa (Kaiser), she’s using the pool and now she’s going back down to her room.” The security guard stares at me before flitting his gaze over to the boy behind me and giving him a curt nod before pressing the button calling the elevator.
“Thanks…uhm.” I can’t bring myself to look at either of them. There's a pause before the cute boy speaks.
“William.” I can hear him smiling at me. The elevator saves me with a ding and I step through the doors.
“Thanks William.” I give him a small smile before the doors close.

On the way down it hits me. That was William Stewart, one third of the international boy band sensation Swift Light! Groaning I hide my face in my hands. Of course it was him and of course I didn’t recognize him at all. They're not my favorites or anything, but they're huge right now and the slightest piece of news is broadcast all over. You have to be dead not to know about them. He must be laughing so hard at me right now.
I’m glad I insisted on having my own room, even if it’s connected to mom and Oliver’s room by a door. Slumping against my door I close my eyes and hope my jet lag won’t be as bad tomorrow night.

When mom knocks on my door it feels like I’ve just fallen asleep. She sticks her head in and gives me a radiant smile, her hair and makeup already done.
“Rise and shine baby! We’re having brunch and then hitting the shops!” Her enthusiasm is scary, especially with this little sleep. “Wear something cute and meet me in 20 minutes.” When I see myself in the bathroom mirror I can’t help but laugh, falling asleep with damp hair makes me look even more a wreck than the few hours of bad sleep have.
After a quick shower and brushing my teeth, I pin my still damp shoulder length blonde hair into a messy bun and apply concealer under my eyes before filling my brows in. A coat of mascara makes me look a little less dead and I decide my pasty complexion is in need of both foundation and bronzer if I’m to show my face outside the hotel room. Checking my phone, I see I have 5 minutes to find “something cute” to wear. Rifling through my bag I find a black crop top with short sleeves, cut off denim shorts and my favorite red flannel, casual and cute, perfect.

I’ve just tied the flannel around my waist when mom comes back.
“Let me put shoes on and I’ll be all set.” She eyes my black sneakers with barely hidden contempt. Well, I won’t be the one complaining about sore feet at the end of the day. Her pumps might look very chic, but I’d die if I wore them for more than an hour or three. Grabbing my small black purse from the vanity I give her a smile, she shakes her head and laughs, leading the way towards the elevators.
“Do you think they’ll have decent coffee here?” Mom is checking her purse for something as we descend.
“I don’t know. We could always hit a Starbucks or something later if it sucks.” I stifle a yawn and hope there’s plenty of bacon, brunch without bacon is not a real brunch.
“I think we’ll end up at one of those anyway.” Mom loves Starbucks, don’t ask me why, I drink tea and theirs hasn’t impressed me yet.

“Rooms 1052 and 1053.” The concierge’s smile doesn’t quite reach her eyes, I bet she’s wishing she was on her break or something. Mom doesn’t notice, she’s far too busy spotting The Perfect Table. It’s kind of a game for her, she snagged Oliver that way, by placing herself and that cleavage of hers right in his line of sight at a posh restaurant. I’d be impressed by her skills if they weren’t so embarrassing.

“What’s going on over there?” I follow her outstretched arm to a part of the restaurant that’s been separated from the rest by a couple of fancy looking white privacy screens. I shrug my shoulders.
“I don’t know. Probably a bunch of secret agents doing secret stuff.” Mom huffs and rolls her eyes at me. “I do know that they want to be left alone, so let’s do that. How about that table?” A table for two by the window is being cleared, mom gives it a look but shakes her head.
“No. This one’s better.” She’s pointing two tables away, closer to the privacy screens. Before I can voice my protest, she’s striding towards it and I have to follow or be left there standing, looking like an idiot.
A server comes to take our drink order and mom gets a Mimosa, I try telling her with my eyes to not go for the booze, but she chooses to ignore me. Story of my life. Loading my plate with all the good stuff from the brunch buffet has me forgetting about mom and her Mimosa. Bacon makes everything better.

“So mom, where do we start today?” I’m on my second cup of tea and am munching away on a Danish pastry. She isn’t listening to me, she’s far too busy trying to sneak a peek behind the privacy screens and whomever might be behind them. “Really mom?” She waves at me to shut up and adjusts her blouse to show off maximum cleavage, someone must be about to walk past our table. Muttering to myself about skanky women I stuff what’s left of my pastry into my mouth.
A woman mom’s age is arguing with someone over the phone, it sounds like the other person forgot about something crucial. I’m so glad I’m not at the receiving end of that. The person following has me choking on my pastry and mom only gives me an annoyed look as I try not to die. It’s Mr. Blonde Security Guard and I’m so not ready to meet William Stewart, ever again. Panicking I lift my cup of tea to my face and pretend drink, hoping to hide behind it. Don’t judge me, please.

The three boys in Swift Light appear and are laughing at something. Will’s blonde hair shines in the morning light as he’s chuckling at something Dylan is saying, Jordan is closest to me and I avert my eyes and pray William doesn’t notice me behind his bandmates. When a couple of servers hurry behind the screens mom gives a disappointed huff, because this means there won’t be anyone left behind them who could be interested in her.
“I’m going to the ladies’. See you out by the reception?”
“Mhm, yeah.” Nodding I keep my face hidden by my tea cup, there’s almost nothing left. Maybe I can hide under the table? Draining the last few drops I strain my ears to hear if Swift Light have left the restaurant and judging by the quiet murmur of people eating and talking I think I’m in the clear.

“Fancy seeing you here.” Goddamn it! Turning around with strained smile on my face I meet his deep blue eyes and half-smirk.
“Hi.” Could I be more lame?
“So you gonna be up by the pool tonight too?” Why in the world would he care? But I can’t ask him that, so I shrug my shoulders noncommittally.
“Depends on if my jet lag is as bad. We’re six hours before you, so yesterday I had slept on the way here.” Really? This is information I think he would be interested in? I should just get up and leave. His smile makes me nervous, it’s like he can tell what I’m thinking. That would be just perfect, wouldn’t it? A gorgeous boy mind reader, girls of the world beware! “Yeah, mom’s waiting, so I’d better…”

I make myself get up, William doesn’t move and I’m close enough to breath in his scent. Light and spicy it tickles my nose and I hold myself back, I don’t think me sniffing his neck would be appreciated.
“What room you staying at?” My daydream about running my fingers through his hair is shattered.
“What?” He must see the alarm and confusion on my face, because he smiles sweetly and bends down his head and lowers his voice. This close I see he has a couple of freckles scattered over his nose.
“I was gonna clear your key card, that way you don’t need to sneak up the stairs.” He winks at me. “Unless you wanna go against Bud?”
“Bud?”
“The bodyguard you met last night, he’s veeery good at his job…” William winks at me. I’m confused, was that a flirty wink or a conspiratorial one? Do I give him one back? “Oh come on! Just give me your room number and I’ll have Mags clear it with the front desk.” A voice at the back of my mind is warning me about handing it out, but seriously, he’s dreamy and I guess I’m more like mom than I want to admit.
“I’m in 1053.” His smile lights up his face, and my day. I spot mom peeking in through the doors to the restaurant. “I gotta go.”
“See you later Kajsa.” I don’t look back.

We don’t stop until late in the afternoon. Loaded with bags we take a taxi back to the hotel. I don’t ask where mom got all the money from, or rather how she managed to get Oliver to give her access to his Master Card. Idiot move Oliver. I refused for her to pay for the stuff I bought, makeup from Sephora and a new summer dress at a small boutique in Soho.
“Really honey, Oliver said it’s perfectly alright for us to charge his card. This won’t be much of a shopping trip is you refuse to shop!” Mom shakes her head at my measly two bags, she has seven stuffed in the back of the cab.
“I couldn’t find anything I wanted.” Which is a lie and I think she knows it, but she knows me well enough not to push it. She lets out a happy sigh.
“Well I don’t know about you, but I’m dying for a glass of champagne and putting my feet up.” I settle for biting my tongue and rolling my eyes. She behaves as if we’ve always been rolling in money. Am I the only one who remembers all the dinners of only spaghetti and ketchup we shared in our tiny apartment, how can she forget buying furniture at thrift stores and not doing anything during the holidays because we needed the money to pay rent? Must be great living in Monika-land.

My key card won’t work in the elevator, it just beeps at me and flashes red. Mom has no idea where she put hers, so there’s nothing to do but go talk to the front desk. She sighs and takes a seat in one of the large couches and calls Oliver, muttering something about dinner plans.
“How may I help you?” The man behind the desk seems thrilled I need something from him.
“Eh, yeah. My card isn’t working.” I hand it to him and he runs it through his key card machine thingy.
“Ah yes…” I don’t like the sound of that. “This card has been discarded.”
“What? How am I to get into my room for the rest of the week?” He presses a few buttons on his computer and I feel my heart beating nervously.
“Well. It seems you’ve been given a new one.” His eyebrows rise to meet his hairline. “And you have access to the top floors…” I feel my face flushing. He clears his throat. “One minute and I’ll have your new one ready.”
“Thanks.” I can’t meet his eyes. With my new card getting up to our floor and in through my door is as easy as pie, mom disappears into her and Oliver’s room talking about some fancy restaurant and how he scored a table. I don’t think I’m invited.
“I’ll just call room service then…” She doesn’t hear me.

There’s a box of chocolates on my bed, with a note attached:


If you’re reading this you have your new key.
I’ll be at the pool after 2AM, see you there!
xx Will

This guy is just too much. Doesn’t he realize this is borderline creepy? He must be living in some sort of parallel universe where shit like this is alright and maybe cute even. Sighing I lie down on the bed and eat all of the chocolate, there are only nine pieces but they’re delicious. Of course he’d buy the really expensive kind.

Jet lag has me dozing off, not quite sleeping but not really awake either. I have no idea for how long I’ve been out of it when I hear Oliver’s voice from the other room and I force myself up from the very comfortable bed. I knock before going through the door.
“Kajsa, hi. How was your day?” Oliver’s tall, with black hair that’s sporting a few greys and has a friendly face. I liked him straight away.
“It was good. How about you?” He chuckles.
“Good. There was a fascinating presentation on Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia related issues.” I roll my eyes in mock boredom and I get another chuckle out of him. I really do hope mom sticks with this guy, he’s so different from the losers she’s taken up with over the years. “Monika and I have dinner reservations, I’m guessing you’re not interested in tagging along?” I can’t resist making a face.
“Nah, I’ll just order room service and see a movie or something. I’m kinda tired…” Mom whirls into the room in one of her newly purchased dresses, the green looks awesome on her and I can see Oliver thinking the same thing.
“You about ready to head out honey?” They’re probably getting pre-dinner drinks at some swanky wine bar or whatever. Mom brushes a kiss on my cheek and they’re gone.

After perusing the room service menu, I order a burger and fries with a chocolate milkshake, and strawberry cheesecake for dessert. I don’t think I’ll manage to eat it all, but it sounds so good that I can't resist. Walking by the vanity I catch a glimpse of myself in mirror and stop dead, my mascara’s smudged and I look a sweaty mess. A quick shower later I’m in the fluffy white robe flipping through the movie options as room service knocks on the door.
“Here you go Miss.” Tipping is hard, but I googled it before the trip and I hope I got it right this time. He's smiling when he leaves and it looks genuine, so well done Kajsa.
I fall asleep only halfway through the cheesecake. At some point, I’m aware of mom moving plates from my bed and turning the TV off, but I just turn around and continue sleeping.

The red numbers on the bedside alarm clock tell me it’s 2.10 AM, I was in the middle of a dream when something woke me. Lying on my back I try to recollect my dream, but it’s just a fuzzy set of images in my mind. There’s a soft knocking on my door. I freeze. There it is again. The thick carpet on the floor makes sneaking unnecessary, but I walk as carefully I can anyway. The knock is a little louder this time and I’m now sure someone’s knocking on my door.
I take a deep breath. This is a fancy hotel, nothing bad happens in fancy hotels. They have security and cameras and all kind of things to ensure the safety of their guests. It’s probably nothing. I’m imagining things.

I crack open the door and almost fall on my ass in surprise when Will’s face appears.
“Good, you're awake.” The asshat doesn't even bother whispering.
“Well yeah I am now.” It's remarkable how annoyed you can sound if you hiss your words. Will seems oblivious to my annoyance.
“Are you gonna go swimming?”
“Dude, I'm in my robe. And before you showed up I was sleeping.” He smiles. “No. I'm not gonna go swimming.” His face does this puppy dog eyes thing and I get the feeling very few people say no to him.
“Oh come on Kajsa. It'll be fun!” I realize he's almost inside my room and make to shut the door on him. He seems to notice I'm not very happy to see him and if I weren't so mad I'd enjoy the look of surprise crossing his face.
“This may shock you, but not every girl you come across wants to throw herself at you and beg for sex…”
“You saying I'm the one having to beg?” I fail holding back a laugh and have to bite my lip to stop. Will has the biggest grin on his face. “See, you don't really hate me.”
“No. To hate someone I have to know them first.” He rolls his eyes.
“What you waiting for?!” Will grabs my arm and makes as if to pull me along.
“Hey! First: I haven't said I'd come. Second: I need my key. And third: what the fuck dude?” Yanking my arm free I leave the door ajar to go get my key. I mean, even I understand this is a once in a lifetime thing.

Bud the Mountain is waiting by the elevators. He's preventing the doors from closing, making it impossible for anyone else to use it, and we're on our way up to the penthouse suites before I can regret my decision. Smiling down on my flip flops I imagine my teachers asking me what I did during summer: ‘Hung out with superstars and stuff, you know, the usual…’ Ha!
Bud doesn't say a word, he barely even acknowledges my existence and that's perfectly alright by me. Will on the other hand doesn't seem to grasp the notion of personal space. I keep moving away from him and he quickly closes the gap between us again. Eventually I run out of elevator space and hit the wall, Will just grins at me as if he's won.

The doors open and Will grabs my hand, pulling me towards the pool. Bud stays by the elevator, his job must be so exciting.
“I didn't bring my swimsuit…” I stop and start turning towards the elevator again.
“I don't have one either.” This has me forgetting to resist being pulled along and before I know it we're outside. Will turns to face me. “Are you telling me you've never been skinny dipping?” Not wanting him to understand how out of my element I feel I scoff at his words.
“I'm Swedish, we don't do anything but.” And to prove it I kick my flip flops off and shimmy out of my robe. I'm in nothing but my underwear, something’s taken over me and I'm out of that and jumping into the pool before my brain can protest. Turning around I see that Will hasn't moved. I feel as if I've won a competition I didn't know I had entered. “Your move pretty boy…” This has him snapping out of it and I don't think I've seen anyone get undressed faster. I couldn't stop laughing even if I wanted to.

He's far from graceful diving into the pool and I'm still laughing as he resurfaces in front of me. The water reaches my shoulders, but knowing that we're both naked makes me feel as if there's no water between us at all.
“I always knew Swedish girls were wild.” I raise an eyebrow.
“You don't know me, I can be anything I want.” He shakes his head and laughs.
“True. I guess that goes for me too.”
“You're right, I don't know you at all.” And I don't want to, but I don't say that, instead I lean in and kiss him. I'm going to regret this, but not right now.

Two naked people in a pool can really only end one way, and considering that Will conveniently has brought condoms we end up having sex on the lounge farthest away from the giant windows facing the corridor. I'd like to say it's mind blowing, but it's average at best. I'm a little disappointed about not getting any of that ‘girl, I'll rock your world’ action Swift Light keep singing about.
After I can feel him distancing himself from me, but I don't mind because I'm doing the same. There is no way I'm interested in starting something with this boy band superstar. He has already proven to me that we live in very different worlds, not to mention different countries.

“I'm going back to my room.” His body is warm and heavy against mine. “Mom’s gonna flip if I'm not in my bed by morning.” I sit up, forcing him to do so too.
“Yeah, I need sleep too.” Will refuses to look at me and it's pissing me off.
“Hey.” He turns toward me. “You're the one coming to get me earlier. If you can't even look at me then maybe you made the wrong choice. I have shit I want to do tomorrow and the days I have left in New York. I don't have the time or energy to be played.” My stuff is where I left it and I go to wrap the robe around me, stuffing my underwear in one of the pockets.
“I'm not looking to start anything with anyone.” He sounds slightly panicked and when I turn around he looks kinda pathetic.
“Good. Me neither.” His eyebrows shoot up in surprise. “Seriously, I'm not even a fan.”
“I didn't…” I hold my hand up.
“Oh shut up. You totally thought I was, that's why you came after me. I'm sure you fuck a few at each place you guys stay.” He doesn't contradict me. “But that's okay, just chalk this up as booty you tapped because you're cute. You know where I'm staying if you're bored again and you can be sure I won't tell anyone. None of my friends would be very impressed anyway.” Okay so that might have been a bit of a lie, but how is he to know that. He’s frowning, his eyes on something on the tiles. Did I hurt his feelings? Shaking my head I bend down to kiss him again, biting down on his lip before leaving him there by the pool.

When mom and I get back from another day of walking through every store she sees, I have another note waiting for me on my bed. This time there's a single red rose instead of chocolates. How does he do that?

I'm a douche. You're amazing. - W

In December Swift Light release their new single, Midnight Rendezvous, and there are a few lines in it making sure I’ll never forget what happened in New York:

I met her one night at the hotel pool
She said she was from Sweden
Her hair was the color of a silver moon
And she had me believin’
In love at first sight or at least for a night  
She laughed at me and said
For just one kiss I’ll grant you your wish
And oh oh oh
She made my wildest dreams come true




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Killed Him!

I’ve started writing my novel again; maybe it’s being back at school that’s given me all these ideas. What I have so far is almost half a book, it needs more detail and some fleshing out and maybe some more drama before I can say it’s finished. A friend has been reading what I have so far and has been asking me questions about why and who and where, making me see that some things weren’t as clear as I thought they were. She also pointed out that one of my characters does nothing for the story. He just tags along, saying hardly anything and I realized that I put him in only because I wanted the boys and girls to be an equal number. So now, when I’m rewriting and adding he’s been cut out. I killed him. Well, maybe not anything as drastic as that, but he’s gone from the story. This changed the story some (duh), and it’s now better. There’s more focus on my main character and those closest to her. After dragging myself to the gym today I now really feel the need to get started with

I should have known better …

Last week was my husbands last week of summer holiday and I had thought that with him wanting to be as much as possible with the kids I could get some writing done. Yeah right! Who was I kidding! Tuesday morning I woke with a sore throat and a few hours after that my voice was gone So instead of sitting down at my laptop, I lay flat out on the sofa drinking tea and feeling sorry for myself. The day after Pumpkin started to sneeze, and we had some fun nights with a very fussy baby resulting in me feeling even more poorly. All the writing and editing I had planned didn’t happen, but I did get to write some poetry.

A Room of One’s Own

It was Virginia Woolf who said that women need a room of their own, a room where we will be able to write (fiction more specifically). I was lucky in that respect when I began to read and then later on when I started to write poetry and prose as a teenager. I was always encouraged to both read and write, and my father would take me to the library and introduce me to the wonderful world that is Science Fiction. Growing up I was sort of an only child, I never had to share my space with anyone. Okay, the “sort of an only child”-thing might need some explaining. My older sister, by 6 years, was severely handicapped ( Retts Syndrome ), so we could never have any kind of sisterly bond or do anything together. When she was 17 she died from heart failure, leaving my parents and I to continue life without her. Yes, it was an easier life because she needed so much help and we could never take any long trips; or if we did my parents had their hands full with her and sometimes I was l