Skip to main content

Just Another Weekend

“Katie love!” I can tell by the tone of mum’s voice what she’s about to say. “Bill called.” I’m glad my back’s turned because I couldn’t stop this eye roll even if I wanted to. She pauses to see if I have anything to say. “Well, he wanted me to come by tonight and I thought since we’re not doing anything… well, I’d say I’d come and…”
“Yeah mum. Great.” I think I’m able to keep my voice fairly neutral. “I have plans anyway.” Not really, but I can’t with her hovering all night just because she suddenly developed motherly responsibilities.
“Alright then.” She starts to move away from the door. “I’ll leave some money in the kitchen. Maybe you can invite Liza over?” Maybe I can gouge my eyes out.
“Yes mum. Maybe I shall.” There’s a spring in her step as she hurries into her room to get all dolled up for the flavour of the month. Disgusting.

The smell of her perfume lies thick in the bathroom, not even my taking a shower clears the fog of Elizabeth Arden’s White Diamonds. I don’t know why, but I apply makeup and blow dry my hair. It’s Friday night after all and maybe someone will invite me along for something fun. And maybe mum will stop going after drunken losers and actually care about what I get up to on the weekends. With a sigh I wipe the mirror clear of the last bit of condensation and apply red lipstick. If I am to spend the weekend alone in my flat, then at least I’ll do it in style.

My favourite playlist has been shuffling through itself while I’ve been in the shower, and is blasting Adele’s “Hello” as I search for clothes. There's something about music, favourite songs, that has me feeling so much better about my life. Singing along with Adele makes this lonely Friday night not seem all bad. I guess enough endorphins are sent coursing through my veins for me to feel a smidgen of happiness.
I pull my blinds down and open my window slightly, the sound of mums calling their kids in from the playground and the barely there noise of traffic on the road into town meld with the music in my room.

We live on the ground floor, our flat has a patio instead of a balcony, much to mum's delight. She really likes her flowers and we can have tons of flower pots and still have room for a table and chairs. Previous summers I sat out there with my friends, we'd drink Fun light and eat crisps and laugh at everything. This year is not quite the same. My ex best friend Liza dropped me like last week’s news when Desirée Willows and her crew wanted her to hang out with them. I wasn't invited.

I don't think any of them have anything against me, it's just that I'm not cool enough. I don't drink or smoke, I don't wear high heels and barely there dresses. I'm just boring I guess.
Liza just stopped answering my texts or returning my calls one day in April. When I asked her about it at school a few days later she told me we had grown apart. I just stood there, nothing would come out of my mouth and she shrugged her shoulders and left.

My other friends are good I guess, but they were never my BEST friend and there's so much I haven’t talked with them about. And I think they want to start going to parties, become more cool and be noticed. I just don’t get it, being more or less invisible works for me, which means I’m never hassled at school and since I’m confident enough about myself, I don’t feel the need to pretend to be something I’m not. I’m a normal girl in a normal town.

To be perfectly honest though, Liza’s betrayal has effected me way more than I let on, I have still to tell mum about it. Not that she’d care anyway, not when she has Bill to fawn over. Yuk.

I start “Hello” again, posing in front of the tall mirror I have leaning against the wall. Sophie made me buy the spaghetti strapped black dress when she saw me in it at the store, I’m glad she did because it is a very cute dress. Ending mid thigh and showing the slightest hint of cleavage it’s the “sexiest” piece of clothing I own. I almost feel ridiculous thinking of myself as sexy. What’s sexy anyway? Humour, that’s what.

As I’m trying to think what shoes would work with I hear a high pitched whistle from outside, I’d recognise it anywhere, it’s Westley Holtz, or Wes as he likes to call himself. We’ve lived in the same area for as long as I can remember, which means we’ve always been neighbours because I’ve not lived anywhere else.
And before you ask: No, I’m not harbouring a secret crush on Wes. I like him, he’s nice and funny and a constant part of my neighbourhood life. He gets into trouble for kicking footballs into open windows, skiving from school and flirting with other guys’ girlfriends. But he also walks home with me from the bus stop out by the road, shares his sweets with his friends and takes breaks from running from people by hanging out on my patio.

“HELLO FROM THE OUTSIDE!!!” Wes opens my window wide and leans in, screaming the lyrics, making me spin around and nearly falling over.
“Ohmygod Wes! What’s wrong with you?!” He continues to more or less to scream the song at me, hamming it up with grand gestures and everything. “Please… please stop…Wes...” I’m laughing so hard I think I’m going to wet myself. Heaving himself through my window he tumbles down onto my floor, how he does it without knocking over the stuff in my window I’ll never know.
“Whazzup K?” He holds his hand out, to help me up from my current position laughing on the floor. I wipe my eyes, cringing slightly at the black smudges on my fingers. I must have a serious case of raccoon eyes.
“Oh, not much.” Picking up makeup wipes I go to assess the damage. “Mum’s out.”
“Yeah, I saw her head out earlier.” He doesn’t add that she was a hot mess in a too short dress, he’s too nice for that.

There’s no saving my makeup, my wiping at my eyes with my hands did the most damage, but I can’t be arsed to redo the whole thing so I just wipe it all off. Wes sits on my bed, watching me remove it and he winces a little. I pause and give him a pointed look.
“What?” The smile he gives me is sheepish.
“I’m sorry I made you have to wipe it all off, you looked nice.” He stops and shakes his head. “You always look nice.”
“Oh Wes, you don’t have to worry. I like myself with and without makeup and nothing anyone says is going change that.” We share a smile in the mirror before I remove the last of my lipstick. With a small sigh I add. “I don’t even know why I did it all… it’s not as if I was going to leave the flat.” I take a small glob of peach face cream and rub it into my face, not being able to resist putting a small dab on his nose.
“Oy!” He wipes it off and rubs his nose a few times. “It’s not cool if boys smell of fruit and flowers.”
“Well, I always think of peaches when I think of you.” Wes sniffs his hand.
“So that’s what it’s supposed to smell like.” I shake my head and laugh.
“Us girl really waste time and money on things to make us pretty for you lot, and you can’t even tell my peach face cream smells of peaches!” He shrugs his shoulders unapologetically.
“At least I can tell when you smell nice and when you’ve put makeup on. You gotta give me something for that.” I’m about to answer that when my neighbours above start arguing about something and their shouting is almost drowning out my music.

“Ugh!” Shutting the window dampens the noise and all that’s heard is that someone is shouting. “I hate having them as neighbours.”
“At least they don't try to kiss you and pinch your bum every time you come across them…” Wes’ ears go pink and he leans back on my bed, not looking at me. It’s hard holding back the giggles wanting to come out. I sit down next to him and give him a sympathetic smile.
“Oh no, she's not still up to that is she?” ‘She’ is Mrs Croft, an old lady living in the same building as Wes and his family, and she's been giving him kisses and pinches since he was 14. Dirty old bag.
“Yeah, I was circling the neighbourhood because she was hovering outside my building.” He sighs and gives me an exasperated look from underneath the brown hair that flops down into his face. “You think she's given up yet?”
“Oh, I don't know. She's awful keen on pinching that cute bum of yours…” Brushing his hair back with my fingers I give him a small smile. Wes returns it and takes my hand in his, threading his fingers through mine and resting them on his chest.

“You know K.” He says with a heavy sigh. “I might have to move here, to your room, to be rid of her.” I giggle-snort at the thought, but Wes keeps his face straight. “No, seriously! I don’t think she’ll stop until I have a proper girlfriend.”
“Oh Wes. You have had tons of girlfriends, but that hasn’t made any difference. She’s a disgusting old crone and she’ll try to kiss you until she keels over.” He rolls his eyes at me.
“You know none of them really mattered, half of them had other boyfriends already.” At least he’s being honest about the stealing of other boys’ girlfriends. I squeeze his hand.
“Or. This is a really crazy idea, but bear with me: Tell her to stop with the touching or you’ll call the police on her!” He just shakes his head slightly and drops his gaze to our hands on his chest.
“No. That’s embarrassing. It’ll be like admitting to not being able to defend myself from an old woman. I’d never hear the end of it!” He closes his eyes. “I don’t want to think about it anymore.” I relax against him, putting my head on his shoulder and we don’t speak for a while. The music keeps on shuffling and my neighbours keep on arguing.

“Do you love anyone?” Wes’ question takes me by surprise, but I do think about it a little before answering. 
“Sure, I love you. And my other friends. And... and I guess I love mum too.” 
“No Katie. Do you love someone, like really love them?” Biting my lip I turn it over in my head. 
“Well, no. I haven’t been in love with anyone. I don’t think I’ve known anyone well enough to actually be in love.” Wes circles my waist with his free arm and pulls me close. “But I guess I’ve had a few crushes, but they don’t count. Am I right?” He chuckles. 
“No. They don’t count.” Where on earth did this come from? He’s such a strange boy sometimes.

“What about you Wes, are you in love with anyone?” He doesn’t answer straight away, I guess he has to think about it too. He lets go of my hand and tucks a few strands of my hair behind my ear. 
“No. I guess I’m not.” There’s a smile in his voice when he continues. “Besides K, we’re only 17, we’re not supposed to be in love.” I laugh and lift my head to look him in the eyes, I need to make sure he’s really okay and not just pretending to be. There’s a mischievous glimmer there and I know he’s up to something, I just hope it’ll include me. If he left here I’d be all alone again. “When’s your mum back?” Rolling my eyes I settle back on his shoulder. 
“Tomorrow afternoon, if not Sunday… depends on how much there’s to drink.” I hate her so much right now. Although, if she had stayed I wouldn’t be cuddling with a boy in my bed, so I guess there’s a silver lining to everything. A new song starts and Wes hums along to it, I’m still thinking about mum so it takes me a while before I recognize the lyrics. 

And I’m not trying to stop you love, if we’re gonna do anything we might as well just fuck. 

I can’t stop my mind going there. We’re both on my bed, none of us are going anywhere and why not? We’re 17, we should do stupid shit and then go on with our lives. I lift my head and Wes turns his towards me at the same time, his lips are just there a breath away. Alright then, let’s do this! 

He must have been holding his breath, because I feel him let it out right before he meets my lips. We’re taking it slow, tasting each other and figuring out if this really is a good thing. Wes is really good at kissing, like really really good, and I just hope he thinks I’m good enough. It’s not like I’ve had as much practice as him. I can’t keep the smile from my face and he pulls back a little. 
“What you smiling about?” He looks almost insulted. The grin spreads on my face. 
“Just thinking about how much more practice you must have gotten.” He matches my grin. 
“Well, I needed it. You don’t.” Be still my beating heart! He leans in to kiss me again, but I grab him by his t-shirt and move us up my bed, so that our legs are no longer hanging over the edge. “Wicked! More snogging!” The look on Wes’ face is hilarious as he fist pumps before pulling me down onto him, laughing I kiss him again. His hands are stroking my back and it feels so nice being this close to someone. 

Our pace changes, I can’t keep a small purr, almost like moan, from escaping and Wes flips us over. His weight presses down on me, in a great way, and I sneak my hands underneath his t-shirt. Lean boy muscles and warm skin make me want to feel more of him against me. As I start to pull his t-shirt off Wes stops and gives me a questioning look. I nod and pull a little bit more. He lets me pull it over his head before jumping from the bed and kicking his shoes off, followed by his khaki shorts. I manage to get rid of my dress before he’s on the bed again. 

“Do you have…?” 
“Yes.” I reach for the drawer in my nightstand and pull out the box of condoms mum bought me earlier in the spring. She had me when she was 17 and even though she’s not one for caring what I do, she’s very clear on the subject of safe sex. I think she would prefer me not having any, but if I do I should make sure I’m protected, and that’s why I’ve been on the pill for a year already. Wes starts kissing me again and I drop the box to the floor. 
“Just leave it there, for now.” He mumbles against my lips and I let myself relish the feeling of his skin on mine. 

I had never really thought about my first time. I guess I always assumed it would happen with a future boyfriend and that it would be something we would have worked ourselves up to, but boredom and loneliness do funny things to you. 

Wes has pulled me close, my head is on his shoulder again and by his steady breath I can almost think he’s sleeping. But his hand is slowly stroking my hip, so I knew he’s awake. 
“Now I understand Mrs Croft.” 
“Huh?” 
“You have a very pinchable bum.” His chuckles make me laugh too. Half sitting up and leaning on my elbow I study his face. “And seriously kissable lips.” 
“You’re only saying that because you want a taste of my incredible skills again.” I give him a raised eyebrow and run my finger down his chest. There’s a look of happy surprise on his face before I lean in and kiss him. The boy has very nice lips. 

“You hungry?” I’m dozing off with Wes’ nuzzling the back of my neck, but my stomach reminds me of not eating much more than a piece of toast for breakfast this morning. 
“I could eat.” He gently bites my shoulder, it tickles. 
“Stop it!” I move away from him. “I think there’s half an apple pie and custard in the fridge, and crisps somewhere too.” I try to stretch myself awake. “Unless you want to grab takeaway?” 
“I’m perfectly alright with not leaving your bed.” He pulls me closer again. “Not having to share a room is a luxury I know nothing about.” Laughing I break free and sit up, searching the floor for my dress. 
“Well, you’ll have to help me carry any food you want to eat. I’m not your mum.” He groans. 
“Thanks for that, it completely wiped any sexy thoughts from my mind…” Rolling my eyes I pull my dress over my head and stand. 
“Up you get, Studmuffin!” 
“Ha!” He sits up and I have to hold onto myself to prevent from jumping him, he’s adorable with his hair all mussed. “If I’m Studmuffin you’re Peaches.” 
“Whatever makes you happy.” I start walking towards the kitchen. 
“You not wearing anything underneath that dress, that there, is something that makes me very happy.” I couldn’t stop this huge grin from spreading over my face even if I wanted it to. 

We end up standing on opposite sides of the kitchen counter, pouring custard on what’s left of the pie and eating it straight from the dish. I find a bottle of Snapple pink lemonade and a bag of crisps, Wes inhales his half before I’ve even eaten a small portion of mine. I nudge my pile towards him and grab an apple from the fruit bowl. When I turn around there’s nothing left of my crisps but a smiling Wes. 

“You sure you don’t want to order something?” He shakes his head and comes around the counter, picking up the now empty pie dish. I watch him wash up, making a note on how my future boyfriend needs to know how to clean up after himself. Swallowing my last chunk of apple I turn towards him. He’s shirtless and the sight of him makes my stomach go all fluttery and my mouth dry. His smile is wolfish and for some reason I feel slightly nervous. “So, uhm… wanna watch a film or something?” 
“...or something.” His smile softens. “Or we can do whatever you want. I’m fine with anything. As long as it doesn’t involve inviting Mrs Croft over for tea and cuddles…” My nervousness disappears as I laugh. 
“Aw! And I was gonna ask her over just now.” 

There’s something a little dangerous in his eyes and it’s thrilling as hell. When he lunges for me I’m prepared and take off towards my room. I have zero chill and squeal as he catches up to me and pins me to his chest. My struggles are pathetic because I don’t mind being near him at all and by the laugh-growl coming from him he knows it too. He whispers in my ear, making my insides grow hot and my skin all tingly. 
“I’d think Mrs Croft would die if she caught a glimpse of the ‘or something’ things I’d like to do with you…” I feel him, his lean body pressing against me, and all I want is to be back in my bed with him. 
“Show me.” I sound out of breath, but I don’t care because both of us are falling into my bed, shedding the little clothes we have on, before I can string another sentence together. 

The early morning light filters through my blinds, someone has their arm around my waist and is snoring lightly in my ear. Memories of Wes and last night trickle back through my sleep addled brain and I smile. 

“Are you doing anything tomorrow?” He asks right before we fall asleep. 
“No.” I mumble into his neck. 
“Good.” His yawn draws the word out. “I can stay the night again then…” I don’t answer, I’m too tired. 

Snuggling closer to him I close my eyes against the morning light, feeling him tightening his hold and mumbling something incoherent in his sleep. 

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Killed Him!

I’ve started writing my novel again; maybe it’s being back at school that’s given me all these ideas. What I have so far is almost half a book, it needs more detail and some fleshing out and maybe some more drama before I can say it’s finished. A friend has been reading what I have so far and has been asking me questions about why and who and where, making me see that some things weren’t as clear as I thought they were. She also pointed out that one of my characters does nothing for the story. He just tags along, saying hardly anything and I realized that I put him in only because I wanted the boys and girls to be an equal number. So now, when I’m rewriting and adding he’s been cut out. I killed him. Well, maybe not anything as drastic as that, but he’s gone from the story. This changed the story some (duh), and it’s now better. There’s more focus on my main character and those closest to her. After dragging myself to the gym today I now really feel the need to get started with

I should have known better …

Last week was my husbands last week of summer holiday and I had thought that with him wanting to be as much as possible with the kids I could get some writing done. Yeah right! Who was I kidding! Tuesday morning I woke with a sore throat and a few hours after that my voice was gone So instead of sitting down at my laptop, I lay flat out on the sofa drinking tea and feeling sorry for myself. The day after Pumpkin started to sneeze, and we had some fun nights with a very fussy baby resulting in me feeling even more poorly. All the writing and editing I had planned didn’t happen, but I did get to write some poetry.

A Room of One’s Own

It was Virginia Woolf who said that women need a room of their own, a room where we will be able to write (fiction more specifically). I was lucky in that respect when I began to read and then later on when I started to write poetry and prose as a teenager. I was always encouraged to both read and write, and my father would take me to the library and introduce me to the wonderful world that is Science Fiction. Growing up I was sort of an only child, I never had to share my space with anyone. Okay, the “sort of an only child”-thing might need some explaining. My older sister, by 6 years, was severely handicapped ( Retts Syndrome ), so we could never have any kind of sisterly bond or do anything together. When she was 17 she died from heart failure, leaving my parents and I to continue life without her. Yes, it was an easier life because she needed so much help and we could never take any long trips; or if we did my parents had their hands full with her and sometimes I was l